[Avodah] Where was the Mishkan stored?

hank hankman at bell.net
Wed Mar 6 21:57:21 PST 2019

R. Micha Berger wrote:
“It is possible that Mishkan Shilo had both -- kerashim surrounded by
stone, so that the wals were both authentic to the tzivui in Shemos and
yet permanent?”

Chaim Manaster notes that regardless of whether the kerashim were encased in the  stone walls or the walls were only of atone and the kerashim were ganuz somewhere, the calculus of the overhangs of the yerios will not be the same as in the Mishkan since the stone walls would have been much thicker than the one amoh of the kerashim alone. So we must assume that the overhang details were not part of the essential tzuras haMishkan and were not me’akeiv if they were not the same as in the Midbar. One could then wonder if in the Mishkan itself whether the 28 (30) amoh width of the lower covering (yerios Izim) were meAkeiv as well despite the specific dimensions given in the chumash (which of course they followed) which would be a major chidush IF true. Ie., was the given dimension of 28 (30) amohs the ikar, or the resulting details of the desired overhang the ikar which then  governed the width specified. The only  covering that would not be affected by the width of the stone walls was the one of Trchashim (and eilim) as it only covered the interior dimension of the Mishkan even in the Midbar.

Kol tuv,
Chaim Manaster

Sent from Mail for Windows 10