[Avodah] Where was the Mishkan stored?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 28 14:11:04 PST 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:28:05PM +0100, R Arie Folger, the Noda baGoyim*,
a/k/a der Vienner Rav, wrote:
: However, where were they during the more or less 400 years from the
: founding of Shilo until the construction of the Beit haMikdash?

I'm confused, because this is the first I heard that Mishkan Shiloh
wasn't the one built under Betzalel's leadership, just sitting in one
location for centuries.

I thought that after crossing the Yardein, they built the Mishkan in
Gilgal (Zevachim 118), where it stood for the 14 years of qibush and
chiluq haaretz. The gemara distinguishes between Ohel Mo'eid shebaMidbar
with Ohel Mo'ed shbeGilgal that bamos were permitted during the latter.
Indeed, that language4 does make it sound like two different structures,
because it's not "keshe-beGilgal". But with rabbinic idiom, it might
just be two distinct concepts, one object. Indicative of a new Mishkan,
but not a proof

Then it is moved to Shiloh (Yehoshua 18:1) for 369 years. When the
Pelishtim take Shiloh it is moved to Nov, then once Do'eg haAdomi destroys
Nov, to Giv'on -- for another 57 years total after Nov and Giv'on.

But looking at that pasuq in Yehoshua, "vayishkenu sham es Ohel Mo'eid".
Sounds like they assembled the existing Mishkan at Shiloh.

So I'm thinking that it was indeed one Ohel Mo'eid -- despite the sound
of Mes' Zevachim -- and reassembled.

I'm back to my uninformed assumption that I have before reading RAF's
post.

So where was it during the founding in Shilo?h Operating in Shilo.h

* I hope I wasn't over an issur with giving RAF this kinui. It is meant
as a humorously phrased complement, and hope it is taken as such.

--
Micha Berger             If you won't be better tomorrow
micha at aishdas.org        than you were today,