[Avodah] Practical Problems of Mezonos Bread

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Feb 11 12:07:14 PST 2019

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 02:38:27PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: For as long as I can remember, Misnagid poskim and rabbanim have been
: warning people about the halachic problems of bread and rolls that are
: marked as "mezonos"...
: But I have seen such products in the stores, and invariably they
: have a chassidishe hechsher...
: Specifically, I have heard over the years, that they hold that Pas
: Habaa B'Kisnin retains its mezonos status as long as one eats less
: than the shiur of 3-4 kebeitzim, EVEN if one eats it with other food
: as a normal meal.Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any posek who
: says that in writing.

The AhS (OC 168:16) explicitly says kevi'as se'udah is not subjective,
"ela kol she'acheirim qov'im se'udah al shiur zeh." Citing Berakhos 42a.

And as the SA itself says, "she'acheirim regilim liqvoa".

The MB (168:24) gives 3-4 kebeitzim as the shiur for qevi'as se'udah WRT
eiruv techumin and draws from that conclusions for HaMotzi and bentshin.
"Aval kamah acharonim behaGra mikhlalam cholqim" but because this is
the shiur for lunch, and a se'udah qavu'ah would be dinner or breakfast.

So it seems that even in Litta, the norm isn't to look at whether one
is indeed eating a meal, or even whether this is the amount of pas the
individual in question would eat for a meal, but rather, on a public
shiur.

The open question one would get from the MB is whether that is 3-4 kebeitzim,
or like the Gra says, more.

As far as I can tell, the MB mentions this Gra, as does the Chayei Adam
54:4, but it's not in the Bar Ilan DB.

Micha Berger             Nearly all men can stand adversity,
micha at aishdas.org        but if you want to test a man's character,
http://www.aishdas.org   give him power.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      -Abraham Lincoln