[Avodah] 613 mitzvos is from Torah Tzivah Lanu Moshe

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:37:10 PST 2019

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 1:13 PM Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> The bigger problem is that this whole thing of counting mitzvos is based
> on R' Simlai, so the first two diberos, the ones heard directly miPi
> haGevurah, have to be two mitzvos (plus the 611 tzivah lanu Moshe).
> Judging from the parashah breaks, that means 20:2-6 and 20:7 includes
> only two mitvos. (Interestingly, the break after the second diberah is
> pesuchah. It is the only pesuach within the diberos. Fits the chazal
> we're discussing.)
>
> But... The first dibera includes Chinukh no.s 25-28 (Anokhi, Lo YihYeh,
> Lo Sa'aseh, Lo Sishtachaveh), and the 2nd -- #29, lo lishava shav.
> The Semag has a similar list for these pesuqim, except in his numbering,
> it's Asei #1, followed by Lavin no.s 1, 20, 18, and 238.
>
> So, if the Jews couldn't handle the first two diberos, that comes to 5
> mitzvos heard miPi haGevurah + the 611 we received via Moshe!
>
> (You would have to not count Anokhi AND count the three about AZ as one
> mitzvah to get 2 + 611.)
>
> How do rishonim who are trying to give peshat in R' Simlaei's 613
> doing so in a way that contradicts his ra'ayah for the idea?
> -Micha

The Ramban on the Sefer HaMitzvos asks the same question on the Rambam -
how can the Rambam count 4 lavin of avodah zarah in the second dibra if R'
Simlai only leaves room for 1?

The Meshech Chochma (20:3) suggests that the Rambam is l'shitaso in Moreh
Nevuchim that Klal Yisroel did not hear any individual words from Hashem;
rather, all they heard was a Kol Elokim.  In this light, R Simlai does not
mean that they heard the words "Anochi..." and "Lo Yihyeh…" from Hashem in
the same manner that they heard the other mitzvos word-for-word from
Moshe.  Rather, they heard a Kol Elokim.  And once they heard this Kol
Elokim, they knew, beyond any shadow of the doubt, that 1) there exists a
Borei and that 2) there was nothing else in the world that can compare to
this Borei.

Josh