[Avodah] sheasa nisim

Ari Zivotofsky ari.zivotofsky at biu.ac.il
Tue Jan 22 12:11:49 PST 2019

Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 02:48:19AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
>: The S"A (O"C 2181) lists out a number of places requiring the bracha
>: of sheasa nisim where miracles occurred for the Jewish people...
>:                  If not, why record these specific places.

>The Magein Avraham says (and repeated by the Ba'er Heitev) these
>are specifically places where evidence of the neis was left on the
>landscape....

>Which leaves me wondering: Say someone was at (eg) the location where we
>crossed the Yam Suf (the first item in the list) as identified by others
>who saw the evidence. But they didn't personally see any indication
>of the crossing for themselves, would the SA say they should not make
>the berakhah?

you might find this article of interest:
http://www.hakirah.org/Vol19Zivotofsky.pdf

[All of the above is discussed, as well as a section subtitled "Is an
Artifact Necessary for a Berachah to Be Recited?" which addresses my
question. I am not waiting to read it, though, before passing this email
through to the list. -micha]