[Avodah] The Mitzva of "To'ameha" -- Tasting Food on Erev Shabbos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jan 7 12:58:50 PST 2019

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 07:48:59PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: I must admit that I had never heard of this until my wife returned
: from a visit to a number of kevarim in Europe with a group of Chassidic
: women. If you ask people about this, I think that you will find that
: in non-Chassidic circles this Mitzva is commonly unknown. YL

It's a "thing" among the Yeshivish too.

:> The Mitzva of "To'ameha" -- Tasting Food on Erev Shabbos

Who are you quoting?

In any case, all it means is that the cook shouldn't serve the food they
made for se'udos Shabbos without checking the taste themselve. It is
common when cooking to taste the dish anyway. You just ought to remember
to check (eg) the soup, even if you make the same recipe every week.

Chodesh Tov!