[Avodah] culture

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 19 10:34:47 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 05:41:41AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: My response to a Cross Currents post on the new popular chareidi music
: and literature:
:> As far as the general low culture issue, can we at least agree that even
:> the "frum" low culture does in fact represent some acculturation from
:> the general society around us? Some would argue that conscious awareness
:> of this acculturation allows us to better manage it.

: My question to the chevrah-Has history shown that nonawareness is the
: better strategy?

It has to be slower, when you think you haven't yet assimilated culture
and you're trying to hold the line, than when you consciously choose
to have a strategy with regard to acculturation, and expect the line
to move. One will only have unconscious motion, the other will have
conscious change as well.

So for the masses, it means less assimilation.

Then we have to ask if cultural assumilation is a bad thing. Does Hashem
not want us to sing our tefillos to the kosher elements of the sound of
our era? Is there a Jewish aesthetic to begin with? Way deep wading in
this issue.

However, for the yechidim who realize it's going on and that everyone
is fooling themselves.... I see a big OTD risk as cynicism is bound to
creap in, as well as (including?) a loss of respect for any authority
figures who are fooled or caught blindfolding others.

Micha Berger             Despair is the worst of ailments. No worries
micha at aishdas.org        are justified except: "Why am I so worried?"
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507