[Avodah] Mechila

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Dec 15 19:22:45 PST 2018

With an extremely unusual exception, all professionals will tell you
that the first time your husband assaults you must be the last time.
Furthermore the law is clear and unequivocal: Any incidence of
a domestic crime must be dealt with by arresting the guilty party,
be it husband or wife. I can tell you that any call we get involving a
domestic always results in an arrest.
Dina D'Malchusa Dina
This is the law and we are mandated to follow it.
I have no sympathy for a husband who assaults his wife or a wife who
assaults her husband. If you assault your spouse, you do not deserve
your spouse.
Mechila or no mechila, the consequences are serious and the law must
be followed.

Quoted from a rabbinic source:
"A woman called. Some of her ribs were broken. She wanted to know if she was supposed to be mochel / forgive her husband. I told her definitely not. She persisted - isn't it a special mitzvah, close to Yom Kippur, a segulah that Hashem should forgive us for all our wrongdoing? It told her that it would be no mitzvah at all."

I'm guessing there's more to the story and that the rabbinic advisor felt that her not being mochel would have an impact on her husband's actions. If not I would have guessed she would have been told to leave him? FWIW IIRC the only exception to the forgiveness rule is motzi shem ra (spreading negatively about the individual).

Your thoughts?