[Avodah] Science and Torah - two new links

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Nov 30 10:19:13 PST 2018

Einstein and G-d:
http://nautil.us/blog/how-einstein-reconciled-religion-to-science

Eistein said things about G-d that appear to contradict -- he both speaks
of the Designer of existence and belittles the G-d of religion.
Looks like his real position was closer to Spinoza's -- not emunah in a
Borei but our standards, but far from atheism in their self-perception.

---

Stephen Colbert explains his faith to Dr Neil de Grasse Tyson
https://www.facebook.com/michael.bernstein.86/videos/10100134331341237/

He says that his faith doesn't come from a place of evidence, it comes
from gratitude. Until they can explain why we exist rather than not exist,
we need some basket to put that gratitude in.

A little too Gcd of the Gaps. He could have made the same point using a
more Non-overlapping Magesteria approach. IOW, he shouldn't be talking
about belief until Dr Tyson and others in his profession can explain why
we exist. Rather, he should point out they can't -- "why we exist?" isn't
even a scientific question. Science doesn't cover all of human experience.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to
micha at aishdas.org        suffering, but only to one's own suffering.
http://www.aishdas.org                 -Robert Lynd, writer (1879-1949)
Fax: (270) 514-1507