[Avodah] Evidence of the Destruction of Sodom?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Nov 25 17:29:32 PST 2018

See https://www.sciencenews.org/article/exploding-meteor-may-have-wiped-out-ancient-dead-sea-communities
or <http://bit.ly/2KycxaF>.

I am including just a teaser. I intentionally ended with the note that
the researcher works at a Xian university, as that does speak toward
objectivity. We'll see what peer review says of the evidence.

Science News

Archaeologists at a site in what's now Jordan have found evidence of a cosmic
calamity

An exploding meteor may have wiped out ancient Dead Sea communities

By Bruce Bower
10:00am, November 20, 2018

Preliminary evidence indicates that a low-altitude meteor explosion
around 3,700 years ago destroyed cities, villages and farmland north
of the Dead Sea (shown in the background above) rendering the region
uninhabitable for 600 to 700 years.

DENVER -- A superheated blast from the skies obliterated cities and
farming settlements north of the Dead Sea around 3,700 years ago,
preliminary findings suggest.

Radiocarbon dating and unearthed minerals that instantly crystallized
at high temperatures indicate that a massive airburst caused by a meteor
that exploded in the atmosphere instantaneously destroyed civilization in
a 25-kilometer-wide circular plain called Middle Ghor, said archaeologist
Phillip Silvia. The event also pushed a bubbling brine of Dead Sea salts
over once-fertile farm land, Silvia and his colleagues suspect.

People did not return to the region for 600 to 700 years, said Silvia, of
Trinity Southwest University in Albuquerque. He reported these findings
at the annual meeting of the American Schools of Oriental Research on
November 17...