[Avodah] Bereishit

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Nov 23 02:58:17 PST 2018

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:30:07PM -0500, Zvi Lampel via Avodah wrote:
: > The Ramban talks about nature being a pattern in events, but those events
: > are /directly/ caused by HQBH.
:
:
: Where does Ramban say this? ...

This was already answered. The mistake people make in the more famous
Rambans that created the popular notion that he says everything is a
miracle is really the Ramban saying everything, even nature, it directly
from G-d.

:                             As I wrote, he repeats a number of times that
: each "Va-yehi  khein" in Breishis means that Hashem made that minhag
: permanent at maaseh breishis...

Which is not in contradicction to what I wrote. A minhag is a pattern
of behavior. Not a "thing". Teva isn't someTHING Hashem made that
behaves in certain ways and causes physical objects behave in certain
ways.

To the Ramban, the question of teva vs neis is whether the situation
calls for HQBH breaking His minhagim.

: Regardless of the mechanics of seichel haPoel, etc, I see no basis to
: create a machlokess between the Rambam and Raman on this point. Especially
: since he /says/ he is in agreement with the Rambam.

You want to avoid dealing with the concepts of hypostasis and of seikhel
hapo'el, but still thimk you can reach what the rishonim are talking
about?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter