[Avodah] Reading Newspapers and Other secular Literature on Shabbos

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:07:42 PST 2018

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 12:36 PM Toby Katz via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> Since these journals were published more than a century ago, no one alive
> today has seen these papers except for a few academic researchers with
> access to old library archives.
>

> All of us here are busy talking about things we have never seen, like the
> far side of the moon.

This is not quite true: together with lots of other Hebrew journals, they
are all available online at
http://web.nli.org.il/sites/JPress/English/Pages/default.aspx

I doubt if that site gets as many hits as the New York Times, so basically
you are right, but at least anyone who cares can judge for themselves what
these newspapers were like