[Avodah] Two witnesses

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Oct 16 05:25:28 PDT 2018

On 16/10/18 08:10, Joseph Kaplan wrote:
> Zev Sero commented On Micha's remarks:

>>> it implies that the court can sentence someone to death even though
>>> the facts might not be true.

>> As evidenced by the fact that if the witnesses recant after the verdict,
>> even if their recantation seems credible we execute the person anyway.

> What, if anything, does this teach us — about Halacha or morality or the
> value of human life or anything else? Or perhaps to paraphrase Joel
> Rich’s question: Is this what God wants?

Well, we *know* that it is indeed what He wants.  That is surely beyond
all question.  All we can discuss is *why* He wants it, and what lessons
we can draw from this counterintuitive fact.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper