[Avodah] The Shape of the Tavah

Ezra Chwat Ezra.Chwat at nli.org.il
Tue Oct 16 00:45:18 PDT 2018

[Micha] wrote:
> Borne on the surface of the water means all the weight is above the
> water, including the center of gravity. As it bobs on the water, the
> fulcrum is where the bottom hits the water. When the center of gravity
> is above the fulcrum, balance is difficult.

Great insight, it's pshat in [Beresheet VII: Vateilekh hateivah al penei
hamayim] meaning, all of it above surface, as in Gen I 2. Although there
are a plenty (majority) sources in [lehon miqra] and [lehon chaza"l]
where the meaning clearly infers partial immersion below the water
surface. [Doq vetishkach] search and see.

In any case this also sheds literary light on the two images presented
for [lechem hapanim] (Menahot 94b): [sefinah roqedet] vs [teivah perutzah].
Why these images instead of description? Perhaps theres a message here
about [teivat Mosheh] or [teivat Noach]

Here's Rashi's drawing
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/faxes/rashiLechemHaPanim.jpg>
(source
<http://aleph.nli.org.il/F/?func=direct&doc_number=000159163&local_base=NNLMSS>)

Dr. Ezra Chwat    |Manuscript Bibliographer
Department of Manuscripts
The National Library of Israel, Jerusalem
Edmond J. Safra Campus, Givat Ram,
P.O. Box 39105, Jerusalem 9139002
ezra.chwat at nli.org.il  |  www.nli.org.il
<http://web.nli.org.il/sites/NLI/English/Pages/default.aspx>