[Avodah] The Shape of the Tavah

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 12 04:36:37 PDT 2018

At 03:01 PM 10/11/2018, Micha Berger wrote:

>RSRH's teivah is his own reconstruction. He could be wrong too.
>
>Borne on the surface of the water means all the weight is above the water,
>including the center of gravity. As it bobs on the water, the fulcrum is
>where the bottom hits the water. When the center of gravity is above the
>fulcrum, balance is difficult. Just compare keeping a broom veticle when
>you hang the end of the handle between two fingers with the broom below
>with keeping it balanced standing on your palm. It would be another neis
>for Noach et al not to have capsized.

First of all,  the entire saving of Noach, his family, and the
animals is a miracle.  It is not, IMO, something that would happen in
the "natural" course of events.  Hence,  the ark could indeed have
been shaped the way RSRH asserts and stayed afloat,  because HaShem
kept it afloat.

Also,  we know that the nature of the world was different before the
flood than it is today. IIRC, there are midrashim that say that there
were no seasons as we have today and that vegetation grew at a much
faster rate. In short, climatic conditions were very different before
the flood than after it.

In light of this,  who says that the laws of physics before the flood
were the same as they are today?  If they were different before the
flood,  then your physics analysis does not hold water! >:-}  ( have
no basis for asserting that the laws of physics  were different
before the flood,  but it is possible in light of the different
climatic conditions.)

YL