[Avodah] Geshem or Gashem?!

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Oct 5 07:37:43 PDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 05, 2018 at 12:01:40PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: From  https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/4903

I have yet to see a discussion that starts at the beginning. Bemechilas
kevod everyone who holds "gashem", and who am I to argue against the Gra,
the Netziv, the CC, R' Aharon Kotler, R YS Elyashiv, or Rav Moshe?

But this article gets closer, by mentioning Sepharadim and the Levushei
Mordekhai.

Yes, in the Leshon haQodesh of the Tanakh, "gashem" is the correct pausal
form. And, if one davens in the language of the Tanakh, then "geshem" vs
"gashem" boils down to asking whether this is one item in a long list,
or a phrase with a significant pause (esnachta or sof-pasuq, or in sifrei
Eme"s, oleh veyoreid).

The reason why Sepharadim end the berakhah on wine with "gefen" is because
they more often daven in Chazal's Hebrew, rather than the Tanakh's. And
Mishnaic Hebrew doesn't have pausal forms.