[Avodah] birchas cohanim on chol hamoed in chutz la'aretz

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 19:04:20 PDT 2018

> R' Mordechai Cohen asked:

> Has anyone heard of a ashkanz minhag to do birchas cohanim
> on chol hamoed in chutz la’aretz? (not sepharadim)
> I was surprised to see it done.
> Sources?

I've never seen it nor heard of it (until now), but I can easily imagine a
reason behind it: The main (only?) reason to connect Birkas Kohanim with
Yom Tov is the level of simcha that we do have on yom tov but not at other
times. (Rama 128:44) According to Shulchan Aruch Harav 529:6, the mitzva of
Simchas Yom Tov applies equally on Yom Tov and on Chol Hamoed. Thus, I can
see how one might conclude that the reasons for Birkas Kohanim are equally
strong on Yom Tov and on Chol Hamoed.

Akiva Miller