[Avodah] Simchas Torah & a Lost Minhag of the Gra

Rabbi rabbi at opengemara.org
Wed Oct 3 18:16:02 PDT 2018

Was there a Jewish community in Israel between the time of the Yerushalmi and when "they" returned to Israel. Because if there was, each returnee would have to adopt the Minhag Hamakom the moment he hit an inhabited city.

In contrast, there were no religious Jews left in England after the expulsion, so the newcomers can (and should) follow their old minhagim.

The same would presumably apply when Jews started coming back to Spain a few decades back, and unlike Moroccans in France a few decades before.

But, as I wrote before, it seems that the Minhag is to follow whatever Minhagim you were used to, especially if you have enough landsmen to create a breakaway community.