[Avodah] Simchas Torah & a Lost Minhag of the Gra

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Wed Oct 3 09:16:33 PDT 2018

At 01:17 PM 9/30/2018, R. Zalman Alpert  wrote:

>The kluiz of the GRaA in Vilna was essentially the only place in Vilna
>and all of Lithuania that followed minhage HAgra to the kotzo shel yud
>Chaim Grade a lost talmid of the Chazon Ish and a Vilna native mentions
>this in his wonderful novels about shil life in Vilna
>
>Because the Jslm settlement in early 19th cen was started by disciples
>of the GRAthe Rivlins,etc these minhogim becamr and remain the standard
>for at least the yishuv hayoshen of Jslm and beyond that group
>
>And thats how we know these customs in realism rather than from seforim
>The Litthuanian yrshivas did not follow these customs nor did kohol,and
>certainly not the chassidim of Lithuania who after WwI played an impt
>role in Jew rel life in greater lita including Vilna

My understanding is that the GRA never meant for his minhagim to be
practiced by the general public,  but only by his disciples. Thus I
find it \ironic that his minhagim became widely accepted in EY and
are practiced by many there.

Why didn't those who returned to EY practice the minhagim of EY?  For
example,  why didn't they go back to the 3.5 year cycle of reading the Torah?

YL