[Avodah] V'zos Habracha "United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Sep 22 19:44:16 PDT 2018

This is the only parsha that can never be read on Shabbos
outside of Israel. It is read on Simchas Torah which can never
fall on Shabbos outside of Israel. This portion speaks about the
b’racha that Moshe blessed all the Jews before he died. The concept
of a blessing is contained in the sh’moneh esrei: “borcheinu ovinu
kulanu k’echod,” which simply means God should bless us all together.
But in Tanya, the alter Rebbe gives a deeper meaning of it. “Borcheinu
ovinu,” when can God bless us? “kulanu k’echod,” when we’re all united.
If the Jews are not united, then there is no blessing. This applies to ALL
Jews — the Reform, the Reconstructionist, the Conservative, the
Orthodox, the Confusadox, etc.
To reiterate — in order for God’s blessing to be valid, we must be united.