[Avodah] How to put together a Lulav According to Chabad Custom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 21 13:08:39 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:24:44PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: This certainly different from the way I have seen it done.  YL
: Please see the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5vywJjkOc

Many chassidim do 4 aravos and 9 hadasim. Their braided holders have 2 arms
on one side for 2 aravos each, and 3 for 3 aravos each on the other.

I saw in the video that they do not use braided holders at all. That's
also a Granik / Brisker thing. Although there is no explanation as for
why 3 rings holding the minim together.

And no explanation why the haqpadah about putting the knot on the
green side.

More interesting to me was the surrounding of the aravos with hadasim. It
reminds me of Chabad outreach -- they put the no-smell-no-fruit aravos
inside the community, surrounding them with people who can teach Torah.

The way most groups do it, the hadasim are on the left, next to the
esrog. Putting the hadadim around the aravos also puts them next to
the esrog.

But more so, it fits the late bayis sheini norm. See the back of sheqlim
from this era -- a lulav, two longer branches curving out on either side
(aravos - as there are two), surrounded by hadassim (which often are
depicted with berries on them?).

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             We look forward to the time
micha at aishdas.org        when the power to love
http://www.aishdas.org   will replace the love of power.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                - William Ewart Gladstone