[Avodah] Eating on Yom Kippur

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:07:22 PDT 2018

Chana Luntz wrote:

'so here would seem to be a case where there was unquestionably a chashash

and I can't see how I can be described as anything other than a choleh,
but the rabbi/doctor was clearly convinced that stopping taking the
antibiotics for 25 hours was not a real risk - with the corollary being
that I shouldn't take them over yom kippur!!'

That's  a situation which fits a fairly classic model of physical symptoms and definable illness making you, presumably, a choleh in hilchos YK. So I presume that had you felt that you had to eat for fear of becoming dangerously ill then OC 618:1 would apply to you and you could have eaten against medical opinion.
The problem is the non-classic cases as I mentioned, where the illness is not objectively definable. What happens to the category of choleh then?

Incidentally, I'm surprised to hear that you were told not to take antibiotics on YK since it's easily possible to do so without any issur of achila at all.

Ben