[Avodah] mixed prayers at the Kotel

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Sep 20 09:43:17 PDT 2018

At 4:12 PM 9/18/2018, Ben Waxman wrote [on Areivim, about selichos
at the kotel -mb]:
> Without a doubt, the largest group of Jewish people praying in a group
> not separated by gender is selichot at the Kotel. Women of the wall are
> a drop in the bucket compared to these selichot sessions.? Both chief
> rabbis were in attendance last night.

While I am sure this is true, this does not make it right.

My understanding is that one is not supposed to daven outdoors, and
davening at the Kosel is indeed davening outdoors, is it not.

>From http://dinonline.org/2012/07/11/davening-outdoors/

    Is it problematic to daven outdoors?
    Thanks.

    Answer:

    One should not daven in an open area outdoors,
    and should daven in a closed building, or a sheltered area.

    Sources:

    The Gemara (Berachos 34b) writes that it is wrong (arrogant ? chatzuf)
    to daven in an open field.

    Rashi explains that in an open field, one doesn?t feel fear of the
    King, and one doesn?t pray with a broken heart. Tosafos, however,
    understands that the concern is for passers-by, who are liable to
    disturb a person?s davening.

    The Magen Avraham (90:6) rules that the problem is that davening
    outside makes a haughty statement: ?Even though there are passers-by,
    they will not disturb my intent in davening!? This is arrogant
    and wrong.

    The Shulchan Aruch (90:5) rules that one should not daven in an
    open place, and the Mishnah Berurah (11) adds that those who are
    always travelling should can daven in an open place, but should try
    to daven by a tree.

    Therefore, although it is not forbidden to daven outdoors, it is
    wrong to daven in an open area, and one should seek a sheltered place.

Also, my understanding is that often at the Kosel there are many minyanim
going on at the same time, but are indifferent places in the davening.
Is this proper? Furthermore, what about the principle of B'rov am
Hadras Melech , shouldn't there be only one large minyan at the Kosel
at any given time?

YL