[Avodah] Ha'azinu

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Sep 20 11:11:26 PDT 2018

On 20/09/18 10:08, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 12:07:33PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : On 17/09/18 17:16, Jay F. Shachter via Avodah wrote:
> : >I am utterly puzzled by this Zohar, because tzur and sela` are two
> : >totally different words that mean different things.  Their meanings
> : >don't even overlap.
>
> : 1. First of all, what are these different meanings, and how do you
> : know they do mean different things and are not synonyms?
>
> Even if they are synonyms, wouldn't using different words push toward
> not making that kind of derashah? Otherwise, why wouldn't the connection
> been highlighted by common word?

Absolutely, and in fact the derasha is based on the use of the *same*
word, but I was asking about the assertion that they are such different
words.   What do the two words mean, and how does RJFS know this?

> Just as using homonyms or near homonyms /are/ used, even when the
> meanings will only overlap after such analysis. Eg: "Vehanachash haya
> arum"... "vayeid'eu ki arumim heim." (Bereishis 3:1, 7)

The relevant pesukim there are not so much 3:1 & 3:7 but 2:25 and 3:1.
"Vayihyu shneihem `arumim" leads directly into "vehanachash haya `arum".

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper