[Avodah] What is the basis of the requirement to wash ones hands upon awakening

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 14 11:25:23 PDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 07:15:43PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: From yesterday's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
:> Q. What is the basis of the requirement to wash ones hands upon awakening
: 1. According to Rosh, one must wash his hands prior to davening...
: 2. Rashba maintains that ...                              like the
: Kohen of old in the Bais Hamikdash who sanctifies himself by washing
: his hands before performing the avodah (Mishnah Berurah ibid.).

1 & 2 -- straight halakhah, al pi nigleh, does not give an urgency
to washing immediately upon waking up. Nor does it motivate using any
special washing patterns. The macholqes is that the Rosh holds neigl
vasr is the same din as the discussion about washing before tefillah,
whereas the Rashba holds those are two different chiyuvim.

In any case, it's a prep before mitzvah. Which is the role for seeking
taharah in general, again looking only at halakhah.

: 3. When one sleeps, a ru'ach ra'ah descends upon the body, and when he
: awakens, the ru'ach ra'ah remains on his hands, and is removed by the
: ritual of washing the hands three times (Bais Yosef O.C. 4 from Zohar
: and Mechaber 4:2 with Mishnah Berurah s.k. 8).

Al pi nistar, however, one has to wash as soon as one can, and as
metaphysics is involved we care about how you wash beyond just whether
it's koach gavra.

It is not an issue of taharah as prep for a mitzvah as much as tum'ah
is a state to avoid being in.