[Avodah] Paying for a common wall

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 14 08:30:47 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:34:54PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: On 13/09/18 16:14, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
: >If Shimon's borders are 10x10, and Re'uvein's are 5x5, they divide by
: >area. Re'uvein has 1/4 of the total area (25 sq amos out of 100), so
: >I would have thought his fair share would be 25% of the price. But the
: >AhS says 1/8 -- apparently splitting by area, and then again splitting
: >into two shares.
: >
: >That's the real problem I had.

: 3/4 of Shimon's fences benefit nobody but him, so he bears 100% of
: their cost.  1/4 of Shimon's fences benefit both of them equally, so
: they share that cost.

This ties my questions together.

The proportion is by area. The amount of fence both are using would be
an issue of how much perimeter Re'uvein would have needed.

If we are measuring by area, we are presumably dividing by amount of
utility. Not splitting how much of the fence is sharing, but determining
how large is each party's share, where they share the full fence. Which is why I thought of halving
the ratio as a second accounting for the sharing.

Here's how I would have thought sharing the amount of fence both use /
need would go:
Shimon made 10 x 4 = 40 amos of fence of which Reuvein needed 5 x 2 = 20
amos. So, it would be 1/2 of the fence that both are benefiting equally,
and a 1/2, and not 1/4, that would therefore be shared equally. Making
Re'uven pay 1/2 of 1/2 = 1/4 of the cost.

(Not because of area; that's just a coincidence because in the example,
Re'uvein's property's length is 1/2 of Shimon's.)

Going on a tangent for a bit: And if we look at how much Re'uvein needed,
rather than how much he would have posted for just himself, we could say
that Reuvein is benefiting from 100% of the fence. He didn't have to pay
if Shimon's fence still left his property exposed to reshus harabim. And
the fence wouldn't be a closed loop if not for all 40 amos.

When a town is afraid of pillaging, the community can levee a tax to pay
for a wall. They bill the wealthy and those who live near the wall the
most, as they are the most likely targets and get the most benefit. (This
division is only if the threat is theft. If it were an army capable of
rape and murder too, then the cost is divided equally. As having more
money or being in a home closer to the edge of town doesn't make it
measurably more likely to be a victim if the army arrives.)

So, it seems that sharing is based on proportion of utility, not
proportion of service used. Justifying dividing by area. The person with
more square amos of wheat benefits more from the of the fence.

In total, there would be 10x10 = 100 sq amos
Reuvein has 5x5 = 25 sq amos = 1/4 of total
Shimon has 10x10 - 5x5 = 75 sq amos = 3/4 of total

Where do you get the 25% that both are sharing?

GCT and :-)@@ii!

Micha Berger             Nearly all men can stand adversity,
micha at aishdas.org        but if you want to test a man's character,
http://www.aishdas.org   give him power.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      -Abraham Lincoln