[Avodah] Slichos without a minyan before midnight

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at mail.gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 06:58:24 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 6:47 PM Prof. Levine <larry62341 at optonline.net>
wrote:
> The Vo'Sikin  Minyan I daven at will be saying Selichos this Sunday
> morning and every morning stating at 5:10 DST which is equivalent to
> 4:10 AM EST...
> Be this as it may,  I do not believe that one will find many shuls in
> Brooklyn that says selichos earlier than 5:10 am, certainly not before alos
> hashachar.   Indeed,  most say Slichos later.  Many have minyanim at 10 pm
> every night.

What is the relevance of all this? You claimed that your minyan was
following the original minhag of saying selichos early in the morning when
in fact it is not as it is starting selichos after alos hashachar. The
fact that most say selichos later, does that make it right?

> The yeshivas start even later.  I think that Chaim Berlin starts at 7:45
> and says very little of the selichos.

The yeshivas have a different calculation:

1. Bitul torah -- the boys stay up late learning so if they have to get
up early to say selichos it will affect their learning

2. The selichos are written in very difficult and poetic hebrew that
most people do not understand. Therefore, it is very difficult to say
all of the selichos with kavana. Because of that they apply the rule
better a little with kavana then a lot with no kavana.