[Avodah] Judaism is not a religion

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Sep 5 07:56:50 PDT 2018

At 10:30 AM 9/5/2018, Micha Berger wrote:

I am sure he did. I just don't think it means what you've repeatedly
insisted it did. As I described above, denying the religious nature of
Yahadus denies basic features of what it is.
>From an earlier post of mine.  See the last paragraph where RSRH makes it clear that Judaism is not a religion?  Is this not what I have repeatedly insisted that RSRH says?

It may sound strange to some to assert that Judaism is not a religion,  but this is precisely what Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch says in his commentary on Shemos 6:7

 וְלָקַחְתִּי אֶתְכֶם לִי לְעָם, וְהָיִיתִי לָכֶם לֵאלֹהִים; וִידַעְתֶּם, כִּי אֲנִי

ה'  אֱלֹה_ם, הַמּוֹצִיא אֶתְכֶם, מִתַּחַת סִבְלוֹת מִצְרָיִם.

and I will take you to Me for a people, and I will be to you a God; and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.

Rav Hirsch writes

לִי לְעָם  These two short words are the first statement of Israel’s
destiny. They express the quality that makes Judaism so unique. It is
entirely inappropriate to refer to Judaism as “the Jewish religion”; it is
thoughtless to define Judaism as a religion, to classify it with the other
religions, and then to be amazed that this “religion” includes so many
elements that transcend the conventional bounds of “religion.”

לִי לְעָם: Israel is to be a people unto God.

This statement alone already makes it clear that Judaism, as established
by God, is not a religion at all. True, Judaism also embraces
elements generally characterized as “religion,” but the term “Judaism”
is completely different and infinitely broader. In “religion,” God has
only temples, churches, priestly orders, congregations, etc. Nations, peoples,
are subject only to kings and governments; they are founded on
the concept of statehood, not on religion and God. In Judaism, however,
God founded not a church, but a nation; a whole national life is to be
fashioned by Him. Israel will be His people, not just a congregation of
believers.