[Avodah] Slichos without a minyan before midnight

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri Aug 31 13:40:43 PDT 2018

At 03:32 PM 8/31/2018, R. Micha Berger wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:07:05AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>: If one will be saying selichos without a minyan, and will therefore
>: be skipping the 13 middos, is there any reason to wait for midnight?
>
>The MA in hilkhos taaniyos (565:5) says "Don't say before chatzos
>halaylah any selichos nor (velo) 13 Middos beshum panim le'olam CHUTZ
>MIBEIS HAKENESSES."

I personally do not understand where the custom to say the first
Slichos at night came from.  My father-in-law, A"H,  told me that in
Europe selichos were said every day in the early morning starting at
about 4 am.

The Vo'Sikin  Minyan I daven at will be saying Selichos this Sunday
morning and every morning stating at 5:10 DST which is equivalent to
4:10 AM EST.  This agrees with the practice that  my father-in-law
saw in Europe.

Why don't others follow this?

YL