[Avodah] Q. How do we know that a minyan must consist of ten adult men?

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Aug 22 06:59:35 PDT 2018

The following is from today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis:

Q. How do we know that a minyan must consist of ten adult men?

A. The Gemara (Brachos 21b) writes that a davar shebikedusha (certain prayers that sanctify G-d’s name) may only be recited in the presence of ten men. The source for this is the verse, “V’nikdashti b’soch Bnei Yisrael” (Vayikra 22:32 – “and I will be sanctified in the midst of the children of Israel”). How many people must be present to be considered “in the midst”? The Gemara points out that the term “in the midst” is also used to refer to the ten spies who explored the Land of Israel. Through principles of scriptural exegesis, we say that just as “in the midst” used in reference to the spies refers to ten adult men, so too, “in the midst” which is a requirement for the recitation of a “davar shebikedusha” refers to ten adult men.

Prayers such as Kaddish, Barchu, Chazaras Hashatz and Kriyas Hatorah may only be recited in the presence of a minyan (Shulchan Aruch OC 55:1). If one began to recite a davar shebikedusha in the presence of a minyan, even if up to four of the members walked out, one may still complete that prayer. For example, if some of the minyan left in the middle of Chazaras Hashatz, the shliach tzibur should complete Chazaras Hashatz, however beyond that point there is a disagreement between the Mishnah Berurah (55:18,19) and the Aruch Hashulchan (55:7).  The Mishnah Berurah says one can still say both the Kaddish after Tachanun and the Kaddish after Uva L'tziyon Goel.  While the Aruch Hashulchan opines that only one Kaddish should be recited after Tachanun and that Kaddish should now be a Kaddish Shetiskabel. All are in agreement that one should not begin a new davar shebikedusha such as Kriyas Hatorah.

YL