[Avodah] Definition of the Noun Tzadik

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Aug 20 07:14:08 PDT 2018

The following is from today's Hakhel email Bulletin.

FROM A READER: “In response to your phrase, ‘Every Jew can be a Tzaddik--you just have to want it enough.’ How would you define the word Tzadik?   To put it another way, how would you characterize someone who is a Tzadik?  Rabbi Shamshon Refoel Hirsch, Z’tl in his Essays on the Psalms (Collected Writings of RSRH, Volume IV) writes on pages 264 - 265. ‘The noun Tzadik, righteous, denotes the one who accords every being and every relationship its due, and does not tamper with or destroy them by acts of commission or omission.’ This definition was certainly an eye-opener for me…”

I am the reader who sent this in.   Please note that RSRH makes no mention of anything specifically related to what is considered  "frumkeit."

YL