[Avodah] Would Rashi Have Been a Democrat?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 16 12:58:36 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:18pm EST, Zev Sero wrote:
: But only between yidden, who are commanded to love each other and be
: responsible for each other.  Mipnei darkei shalom, if aniyei akum
: come to collect the gabai need not turn them away, but there is no
: mitzvah, let alone a chiyuv, and the donors get no sechar.

The Rambam says that vehalakhta bidrakhav applies. And that darkei shalom
applies. Neither are small issues -- imitating the Borei is one way at
looking at our tachlis in life, and nothing accepts berakhah like shalom.

And that's assuming they're separate issues. The Rambam unites them in
the last third of Hilkhos Melakhim 10:12. After talking about geirei
toshav, the Rambam adds "va'afilu aku"m" you must to do biqur cholim
and burying their dead mipenei darkhei Shalom. As it says, "Tov H'
laKol..." and "derakhahe darkhei no'am".

What you're portraying as not being a primary value is very much against
this Rambam. Darkei shalom isn't some survival strategy, the Rambam
associates it with ideas at the core of avodas Hashem!

If that is the pedestal on which we put "social justice", I would agree
with RMYG "Chazal were clearly liberal on social justice issues".

Micha Berger             "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
micha at aishdas.org        exactly the right measure of himself,  and
http://www.aishdas.org   holds a just balance between what he can
Fax: (270) 514-1507      acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham