[Avodah] Choices?

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Aug 16 05:21:33 PDT 2018

The Rambam [codified in S"A E"H 22:7] states that, if a man's business is such that he can't avoid even "only" rabbinic yichud issues, he should yifneh l'mlacha acheret (find another line of work). We also know that many times rabbinic rules are set aside in the case of great loss [but see Pitchei Tshuva Y"D 157:4] In either event, do you think we're talking about cases where the individual originally thought these problems could be avoided or did they go into the business with full knowledge of these issues? Does it include cases where there are technical workarounds available which seem after the fact?
Does HKB"H view it as equivalent to any other choice one could've made or is one dinged for the original choice when it was made? [is moving into an apartment building knowing one will need to use a manned elevator on Shabbat another example? How about certain medical specialties ]
KVCT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.