[Avodah] Would Rashi Have Been a Democrat?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 15 06:23:13 PDT 2018

Rashi, Sotah 45b, d"t "lo ba leyadeinu uftarunhu" discusses the gemara's
word that "uftarunhu" means "without food":
    ... that is, that "yadeinu lo shavkhu" means that he wasn't killed
    by our hands, that we departed from him without food, so that he
    would have to rob people on the road and thereby get killed.

So, Rashi blames the leaders of society for someone being forced into
a life of crime and getting himself killed. It's a hard Rashi for a
Republican to swallow, no? To force society to share blame with the
criminal?

Micha Berger             Mussar is like oil put in water,
micha at aishdas.org        eventually it will rise to the top.
http://www.aishdas.org                    - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507