[Avodah] Loyalty to HKBH

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:12:05 PDT 2018

Some Torah laws appear inconsistent. Wearing clothing which combines wool
and linen is prohibited, and yet the Cohanim wear such clothing whilst
serving in the Mikdash. Cooking cow, sheep or goat meat with milk is
prohibited and yet we may [by Torah law] cook deer meat with milk. Eating
kidney fats of cows, sheep or goats is prohibited and yet we may eat those
of a deer. We are not permitted to use fire during Shabbos yet we process
sacrifices on that Holy Day.

Chazal ask – Does HKBH care if we eat meat that was slaughtered as we do
from the throat or just chop from the back of the neck?
Chazal answer – Observing these instructions does nothing for HKBH [He is
after all perfect without any of our good deeds and He is in no way
detracted by any of our misdeeds] rather these instructions provide us with
an opportunity to become perfected.

Chazal ask, “Is the aroma of burning feathers truly a ‘sweet aroma’ for
HKBH? Is this not a stench that makes many people wretch? Rather the ‘sweet
aroma’ is that His instructions are abided even when it runs contrary to
our own sensibilities.”

All HKBH’s Laws are an opportunity for us to display our loyalty. Sometimes
the greatest loyalty is loyally performing what is counter-intuitive. If it
makes sense we may well be motivated for alternative considerations.

Chazal fought against the Karites – who argued their fealty to Torah by
insisting on a much closer dedication to the text of the Torah. Our
tradition however fought against this. HKBH has provided us with a
responsibility to interpret the Torah and derive guidelines that might well
be counter-intuitive.

The Karites similarly fought against the notion of Ben PeKuAh, in their
eyes it was Rabbinical over-reach, perhaps an even greater fantasy than
their stretching of the verse to mean “not to ignite a fire during Shabbos”
although the wording actually reads, “no fire should burn during Shabbos”

And in this great battle, Rav Hai Gaon, a champion for our traditions who
brilliantly fought the Karites, developed a winning strategy to smash the
Karites: he brought Ben PeKuAh beasts to every public celebration and
processed them as Ben PeKuAh, making a BBQ to feed the assembled crowds.
https://kosherveyosher.wordpress.com/2018/08/10/kol-rabi-sedra-reeih-loyalty/

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837