[Avodah] gzeira shyava

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 2 15:22:45 PDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 09:34:49PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: his rebbi "al yidei gzeira shava." However, both the Ritva and Aruch
: L'nair state it's not a "real" gzeirah shavah because it's not mufneh
: (open, word not needed). 1.) Is this a disagreement in tradition? 2.) We
: see elsewhere a gzeirah shava which isn't mufneh (just that it can be
: logically rebutted). So, why not here?

Chazal discuss g'sh mufneh and g"sh mufneh mitzad echad (one word usage
is needed, only the other is extraneous). There is even a wikipedia
article "mufneh" (tranliteraion mine) at
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A4%D7%A0%D7%94

I think the machloqes ends up being about what we assume R' Papa held.

It seems to me Rashi's subtext at "shenas 20, shenas 20 lig"sh" that
discussion in RH 2b all about R Papa's position on the meta-issue of
g"sh, and not this one g"sh.

Micha Berger             Life isn't about finding yourself.
micha at aishdas.org        Life is about creating yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org            - George Bernard Shaw
Fax: (270) 514-1507