[Avodah] New Raui LaAchilah Question

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 30 20:14:28 PDT 2018

In hopes of creating a new biodegradable option for food wrapping,
they came up with this.

https://bigthink.com/evan-fleischer/paper-plastic-or-crab

    Paper, plastic, or crab?
    July 29, 2018
    by Evan Fleischer

   Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have developed [46]a
   compostable material derived from crab shells and tree fibers that
   might not only be able to replace plastic wrap but could even do a
   better job keeping food fresher for longer than currently available
   non-nature-derived plastic wrap.

My quesrtions were:
1- Could they be used for hot foolds al pi din?

2- If yes, would anyone actually do so? I can see hekhsheirim shying away
for policy ("heim lo yaaminu li") reasons.

3- Foods are rarely "seran wrapped" at had soledes bo temperatures anyway.
(I think the more environmental - less clingy actual Seran brand wrap
of the past few years couldn't handle the heat anyway.)

Do you have to be shocheid that maybe a store wrapped the prepared food
you just bought for Shabbos in crab wrap while still hot? (Assuming "no"
to #1.)

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter