[Avodah] Rav Avigdor Miller on The Learning Boy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 24 11:43:02 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:17:34PM -0400, Prof. Levine quoted a Q&A
by R Avigdor Miller which can be found at (I'm guessing the original
posting of the transcription):
<https://torasavigdor.org/rav-avigdor-miller-on-the-learning-boy>.

My own opinion is closer to that of Prof Levine's 2015 article
in The Jewish Press. (A simpler URL than the one he offered is
<http://bit.ly/2LjUdG4> or
<http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/front-page/the-obligation-to-support-a-family/2015/02/19>.

But I find it hard to believe that was R Avigdor Miller's intent. So
I was reading the answer with a fine tooth comb. And I noticed this:
:                     If a young man makes a condition with his kallah
: that he will be learning forever no matter what, then he is not a
: useful person at all. Forget about him.
:
: Now, it could be that sometimes things work out. He might, let's say...
: But if he makes a stipulation beforehand - if he tells you, "I'm
: never going to work," then I think that you should forget about him.

The question, "What should a girl do if her chosson says that he intends
to learn forever?" isn't exactly the same as the answer. The question is
about the chasan's intent, the answer is about a chasan who is determined,
not matter what. R Avigdor Miller appears to be fine with the aspiration.

So, he isn't so much against kollel as against marrying a man who says
in advance he won't work even if things aren't working out financially
at kollel. But it doesn't look like he wrote against life-long kollel
where someone can find the financial backing (a kollel with a generous
stipend or a teaching job).

I mean, would you really expect Rav Avigdor Miller's ideals to be that
far from contemporary Lakewood's?

I say contemporary Lakewood, since I am not clear on Rav Aharon Kotler's
position. I am told kollel was only for a few years; the stipend was shut
off -- beshittah, not only for rationing -- after a 5 year or so horizon.

Micha Berger             "The most prevalent illness of our generation is
micha at aishdas.org        excessive anxiety....  Emunah decreases anxiety:
http://www.aishdas.org   'The Almighty is my source of salvation;  I will
Fax: (270) 514-1507      trust and not be afraid.'" (Isa 12) -Shalhevesya