[Avodah] Vaeschanan "The sense of touch is strongest when you touch someone's heart"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Jul 23 23:32:08 PDT 2018

Chapter 4, vs.28

  וַעֲבַדְתֶּם-שָׁם אֱלֹהִים, מַעֲשֵׂה יְדֵי אָדָם:  עֵץ וָאֶבֶן--אֲשֶׁר לֹא-יִרְאוּן וְלֹא יִשְׁמְעוּן, וְלֹא יֹאכְלוּן וְלֹא יְרִיחֻן.	28 "There you will serve gods, the work of men's hands, of wood and stone, which do not see, and do not hear, and do not eat, and do not smell."
Here's what's fascinating.  The five senses are Sight, Smell, Touch, Taste and hearing. The above verse has four of the five senses. In wondering why the sense of touch was not included, I researched "touch" and came up with the following: "The most common receptors are heat, cold, pain, and pressure or touch receptors. Pain receptors are probably the most important for your safety because they can protect you by warning your brain that your body is hurt!"
If you notice in the verse, the four senses mentioned are in the negative: "which do NOT see, do NOT hear, do NOT eat, do NOT smell." From this I inferred that since the sense of touch is the most important for safety and protects by warning your brain that your body is hurt, it is not mentioned regarding idolatry because by "serving gods", one's safety and protection is gone. Had the verse also said "the gods of wood and stone do not touch," one would have had a false sense of security.

An acronym for S.I.N — Self Inflicted Narcissism
An acronym for GPS — Good People Sin

Tidbit: There are exactly 620 letters in the Aseret Hadibrot. It is brought down that
number corresponds to the 613 Torah Mitzvot plus the 7 Rabbinic Mitzvot.

The question was asked how do we know there are exactly 613 mitzvot in the Torah. It is learned out from the gematria of
Torah which is 611. Moshe wrote everything that was dictated to him but HaShem spoke the first two Commandments which
added to the 611 added up to 613.