[Avodah] Eicha (HOW did we let it happen)?

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:41:19 PDT 2018

In Avodah V36n85, RCRW wrote:
>  That is not the only connection between Tisha bAv and our Parasha. The
second Temple was destroyed because of sinas chinam, unwarranted,
inappropriate and uncalled for hatred of others (Yuma 9b). Moshe taught
us that even if we are about to attack our enemy, we must first make an
attempt at peace -- even if we are convinced it is doomed to fail. How
much more so(!) must we try to patch things up among ourselves. Need I
say more? <
To me, one blatant connection is not only the narrative of the *m'rag'lim*
but the loaded phrase "ki eineni b'qirb'chem" immediately thereafter (in
response to the *ma'pilim*, also basically seen in P'Shlach) -- IMHO,
_that_ is what we lost with the Churban.