[Avodah] Post Tisha bAv thoughts

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Jul 23 06:47:51 PDT 2018

Yesterday I learned a fascinating concept
relating to the two words: Galut and Geulah.

Galut is spelled gimel, lamed, vav, tav.
Geulah is spelled gimel, aleph, vav, lamed, hey.

Galut is the Exile in which we are at present.
Geulah is the Redemption for which we strive in the future.

If you remove the Hebrew letters that each of the words have
in common — gimel, lamed, and vav,
you are left with aleph, tav, hey — ATAH.

So what is the lesson? If you want to go from Exile to Redemption,
the key is YOU (atah). It is only up to YOU!

The other thing I learned was the reason we don’t say tachanun on
Tisha bAv. The talmud refers to Tisha bAv as a moed, and
tachanun is not recited on a moed.