[Avodah] Aspaqlaria: What isn't Omnipotence?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 20 14:02:56 PDT 2018

My latest blog post
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/what-isnt-omnipotence>.
As I say in the post of the original in Mi Yodeya (the Jewish Stack
Exhange), I like how it came out. So, before waiting long enough to
realize that repeating it everywhere it probably annoying...

Tzom qal everyone (unless he happens to come in the short time
left),
-micha

----- Forwarded message from micha <micha at aishdas.org> -----
Aspaqlaria has posted a new item, 'What isn't Omnipotence?'

Orion[1] asked on Mi Yodeya[2]:

  Hashem's infinite power

  I've heard many times that Hashem is infinitely powerful. But how do
  we know this? Perhaps he's just very powerful or even all powerful
  (possessing all power there is, which is possibly finite). Is there
  a source for the `infinite'?

I liked how my answer came out, so here it is:

The Rambam says that "all powerful" is actually a description of what
G-d isn't. (Moreh Nevuchim, 1:15). And if G-d did have attributes,
there would have to be a cause for that composite coming together.
Since G-d is the Creator, not a created entity, He must be Purely One,
without any real attributes. (ibid book 2, intro. postulate #21.) These
"attributes" are really approximate statements based on what Hashem isn't.

(Philosophers call this approach to theology the Via Negativa -- the path
of denials. The Rambam also describes a second kind of "attribute of G-d",
those that describe how his Action looks to us. "Just as He is called
compassionate, so too should you be compassionate." - Hilkhos Dei'os 1:6)

Let me start with an easier example of a negative "attribute":
Omnipresence.

Where is "1 + 1 = 2". On the one hand, you can say it's everywhere,
because there is no place in the universe where 1 + 1 will equal anything
but 2. On the other hand, it's a concept. It doesn't have a volume;
it doesn't take up space. One can also say "1 + 1 = 2" is nowhere.

Similarly, location isn't really applicable to Hashem, so one can
describe G-d as both everywhere and nowhere, depending on perspective.
Although we tend to use "shebashayim -- Who is in heaven" rather than
"nowhere" to mean spaceless existence.

We talk about G-d always having Been and always will Be. But again, in
reality what we are approximating is the idea that Hashem is "lemaalah min
hazman -- beyond time." "When" isn't a meaningful thing to say about G-d.

With those two examples setting a pattern, let's look at Omnipotence.

We aren't so much saying that Hashem has Infinite Power vs A Real Lot
of Power. Rather, the expression means that Hashem doesn't even involve
the concept of power. Hashem's Will simply becomes reality in a way that
doesn't involve power. Therefore He can't have too little power to get
anything done.

Which is the same effect to our eyes as if Hashem had infinite power --
anything He Wills to happen will happen. Omnipotence.