[Avodah] B'not Tzelaphchad

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 19 12:36:59 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 04:27:17PM -0400, Henry Topas via Avodah wrote:
: In parshat Pinchas, the daughters of Tzelaphchad bring a taynah to Moshe...

: In parshat Massei, at the end of sefer Bamdibar, the family of Gilad ben
: Machir ben Menashe finds what might appear to be a grey area in the "psak"...

: I have looked at those meforshim I have available to me and do not find
: anyone asking why the first psak (in Pinchas) does not already cover the
: situation raised in Massei.  In short, I cannot recall another situation
: where following the first time when Moshe approaches Hashem for guidance,
: he is forced to go back a second time.

How many times does the Torah record Moshe asking Hashem for a pesaq?
I can only recall Benos Tzelfchad and Pesach Sheini. With such a small
sample set... Maybe it fits the system for Hashem to only give each
detail as it is needed, requiring multiple questions. But the other time
this came up at all, there was no later consequence forcing a second
question.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507