[Avodah] Devarim

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 07:49:44 PDT 2018

The Portion begins, Ayleh HaDevarim...(These are the words of Moshe...).  The Commentators explain that the word Ayleh has the gematria of thirty-six, indicating that these were the last thirty-six days of Moshes life.  During his last days, Moshe admonished the Jewish people, but in a way so as not to shame them.

1)  HO-IL Moshe [Deut.1:5]  ... Moshe began explaining this Torah... According to Rashi, Moshe explained the Torah in seventy languages to symbolize that wherever Jews would be in the future and whatever the language of the lands of their exile, Jews would study the Torah in a language that they understood (Sfas Emes).

2) The word HO-IL (Hay, Vav, Alef, Yud, Lamed) is a remez to Eliyahu HaNavi being the one who will explain the disputed issues that we leave for him to explain (teiku). Ho-il is an anagram of Eliyahu. This idea is further supported by the juxtaposition in the last part of the book of Malachi  3:22-23 — Zichru Toras Moshe, Remember the law of Moshe and Hinei Anochi... Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awe filled day of the Lord.

 3) The Torah tells us that Moshe Rabbeinu said to the Jewish people, Reeh nasati lifnaychem ha’aretz. [Deut.1:8]  It is important to note that the word Reeh is written in the singular whereas the word lifnaychem is in the plural.  The Ohr HaChaim HaKadosh asks why the word Reeh is in the singular while lifnaychem is plural?  The Ohr HaChaim answers that people may see the same object but each ones perception and understanding is different.  An event can take place before all of us, but each one understands it at his or her own level.  This is why Re'eh is singular and lifnaychem is plural.

The Almighty constantly yearns for that
glorious moment when all of His people will reflect the
name of our month, Av, and proclaim: You are our AV
and we are Your sons! May this day come
speedily in our times.