[Avodah] Extending restrictions of 9 days

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 13 08:20:10 PDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 06:12:12AM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: Is there any concept of extending the basic minhagim restrictions of the
: nine days like no meat or no wine to other "fancy" type foods? ...
:                                                               Similarly
: good beer or whiskey is certainly just as "sameach" as wine. Or do we
: say "the minhag is the minhag and don't go adding even more items to the
: list". IOW it is entirely possible to fulfill the letter of the minhag
: and yet not feel the nine days at all.

I could make a leshitasam argument with the posqim who are or aren't okay
with wearing comfortable sneakers on 9 beAv.

That said....

About the same time I approved this post in my role as avodah-mod, I saw
a post on the Mekoros group on Facebook asking about whether anyone
prohibits exercising if it means you're going to need a shower afterward.
May you put yourself in a position to need rather than just appreciate
a shower.

The juxtopositon caused an emotional reaction:

The point of mourning during Bein haMetzarim is not to be miserable
in-and-of itself.

How many politicians and other famous people recently said "I'm sorry"
only to continue their announcement in a way that implies that they mean
"I'm sorry I was caught?"

Now picture the criminal who is caught and actually repents in
prison. They might need having gotten caught and feeling the personal
consequences in order to repent. But the person can indeed end up
on the straight and narrow because of it.

IMHO, we don't need minhagim just to make sure we're wallowing in the
day's tragedy. if we have enough minhagim on Tish'ah beAv to set a
atmosphere and mood that encourage the teshuvah necessary to end this
galus, then we have enough.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507