[Avodah] B'not Tzelaphchad

Henry Topas hanktopas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:27:17 PDT 2018

In parshat Pinchas, the daughters of Tzelaphchad bring a taynah to Moshe
Rabeinu who seeks Hashem's counsel before answering.

Hashem issues his "psak" (Kayn Bnot Tzelaphchad dovrot)

In parshat Massei, at the end of sefer Bamdibar, the family of Gilad ben
Machir ben Menashe finds what might appear to be a grey area in the "psak"
and again, the text would suggest that Moshe Rabeinu gets further
instruction from Hashem (Vayitzav Moshe et b'nai Yisrael al pi Hashem).

I have looked at those meforshim I have available to me and do not find
anyone asking why the first psak (in Pinchas) does not already cover the
situation raised in Massei.  In short, I cannot recall another situation
where following the first time when Moshe approaches Hashem for guidance,
he is forced to go back a second time.

Can the chevreh help me out here please?

Kol tuv,

Henry Topas
Montreal