[Avodah] The Molad of Tamuz

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 3 10:38:04 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 09:40:28AM +0300, Simon Montagu via Avodah wrote:
: But here again there is a sub-mahloket on the calculation of the hours and
: halakim: according to the Rosh and the second opinion in the Tashbetz we
: use the same sha`ot zemaniot that we use for all other halachic times: 12
: equal hours from sunset to sunrise, and 12 differently equal hours from
: sunrise to sunset. According to the first opinion in the Tashbetz we use 24
: equal hours, starting from sunset, and this is followed by the Mahatzit
: Hashekela and the Eliyahu Zuta.

Also, days. From the winter solstice to the summer one (+/- a bit for
the analemma, the variation of noon due to the tilt in the earth's
access) days are increasing. Sunset is a little later than yesterday.
The 29 days of the molad would be longer than 29 x 24 hours by the
amount sheqi'ah got later.