[Avodah] The Molad of Tamuz

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jul 3 07:00:49 PDT 2018

On 03/07/18 07:21, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 06:53:34AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : How is that more efficient?  How does the format of the announcement
> : affect the efficiency at all?
>
> It is inefficient to tell people information in a language they do not
> know.

This assumes that they ought to know the molad in the local time. Why?

> :> The Shaar haKollel (26:7) writes that Birkhas haChodesh is a
> :> reenactment of the idea that the Sanhedrin would recite a tefillah
> :> when they were meqadshim hachodesh. (Sofrim 19:9) We therefore
> :> announce the time as they did, using the clock they would have.
>
> : That's not a reason for the announcement, it's a reason for knowing.
>
> Says you. You're just denying my point without basis.

No, says the ShK, and the Siddur on which it is commenting.  As the
article we are discussing points out, the Siddur says nothing about any
announcement, and no announcement was customary when it was written. THe
ShK is giving a reason for the Siddur's statement, not introducing some
new practice, and indeed he too says nothing about any announcement.

> The ShK talks about the Sanhedrin announcing, not their knowing.

No, he does not.

> Making it about the
> informational content of the announcement is an interpolation.

On the contrary, that is what it says; introducing an announcement is
*your* invention.

Just remember what it is we are discussing: an article that acknowledges
the sources for *knowing* the molad, but attacks the practise of
*announcing* it.  Citing the ShK doesn't help, because he is *not*
explaining or thinking of any sort of announcement.   His source in
Maseches Sofrim doesn't mention any announcement either.  My own
explanation is that true, the announcement has no source, but what more
efficient method exists to let people know?  It's obvious to me that
this is sufficient to explain why the practice of announcing it arose.
The gabbai got tired of everyone approaching him privately to ask, so he
just made an announcement for everyone.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper