[Avodah] The Molad of Tamuz

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jul 3 03:53:34 PDT 2018

On 03/07/18 06:37, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 02:06:47AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> :              The purpose of the announcement seems obvious: as he
> : himself notes there are multiple sources saying that it's proper to
> : know when the molad is, and the most efficient way to let people
> : know is for it to be announced just before they need the
> : information....
>
> I do not believe this is true. If it were, the most efficient way would
> be to announce the time in local standard time.

How is that more efficient?  How does the format of the announcement
affect the efficiency at all?

> Aside from
> a tiny minority of us pendants, who bothers subtracting out the time to
> know what the announcement means to them?

I'm sorry, I think we're talking at cross purposes, because I don't
understand what you're saying.

> When I asked an LOR this question I was given a prettier explanation
> for the minhag. ("Prettiness" being subjective, of course.)
>
> The Shaar Hakollel (26:7) writes that Birkhas haChodesh is a
> reenactment of the idea that the Sanhedrin would recite a tefillah
> when they were meqadshim hachodesh. (Sofrim 19:9) We therefore
> announce the time as they did, using the clock they would have.

That's not a reason for the announcement, it's a reason for knowing.
We're discussing the announcement, which the author denounces, not the
knowing, which he approves of; my contention is that the announcement is
simply the most efficient way for people to know.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper