[Avodah] When Shabbos is Motzaei Rosh Chodesh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 2 13:45:24 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 07:56:14AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: In just a few weeks, we will observe Rosh Chodesh Menachem Av. This
: particular Rosh Chodesh is always only one day long, and this year it
: happens to fall on Erev Shabbos. This means that when Shabbos occurs, Rosh
: Chodesh will be over. I want to discuss the ramifications of a person who
: begins Shabbos early in this situation.
: In such a situation, what additions does one add to Birkas Hamazon?
: I don't recall ever learning about this particular situation. There is an
: analogous but very different situation that I have seen discussed, namely
: that of a Seuda Shlishit that begins on Shabbos Erev Rosh Chodesh, and
: continues into Rosh Chodesh Motzaei Shabbos. In that case, the poskim give
: a wide variety of answers...

And also for multiple rationals:

Is the maon part of the meal at the beginning, and therefore one says
retzeih? Or is it that if any part of of the meal is on Shabbos? Or
conversely, that it's the time you're bentching that matters.

Or that it is a "Shabbos meal"?

Or is the dispute about whether the clock matters, thanks to tosefes
Shabbos, but then if Shabbos in this sense too ends when you choose to
end it, what act actually makes Shabbos "over enough" to cause one not
to say retzeih?

And then there's the tarta desasrei issue when it comes to Retzeih
followed by Raaleh veYavo.

For most of those, the start and end of Shabbos would be pretty parallel,
and the same answer for both.

But if it's about time... In both cases is was a Shabbos se'udah. And
in both cases part of the meal was on Shabbos, so it could be a retzeih
whether at the start of Shabbos or the end.

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)